1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Diabetes Statistics Report, 2017. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, US Dept of Health and Human Services; 2017.
2. US Census Bureau. QuickFacts: United States. Accessed November 17, 2022. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US#viewtop
3. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Obesity and overweight. Updated May 3, 2017. Accessed November 17, 2022. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm
4. Garvey WT, Mechanick JI, Einhorn D. The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and the American College of Endocrinology: 2014 advanced framework for a new diagnosis of obesity as a chronic disease. Endocr Pract. 2014;20(9):977-989.
5. McKinney L. Diagnosis and management of obesity. American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP). Accessed November 22, 2022. https://www.aafp.org/dam/AAFP/documents/patient_care/fitness/obesity-diagnosis-mono.pdf
6. Frellick M. AMA declares obesity a disease. Medscape website. Accessed November 17, 2020. https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/806566
7. Bray GA, Kim KK, Wilding JPH. Obesity: a chronic relapsing progressive disease process. A position statement of the World Obesity Federation. Obes Rev. 2017;18(7):715-723.
8. Bays HE, McCarthy W, Burridge K, et al. Obesity algorithm 2021. Presented by the Obesity Medicine Association. Accessed November 17, 2022. https://obesitymedicine.org/obesity-algorithm/
9. Ryan DH, Yockey SR. Weight loss and improvement in comorbidity: differences at 5%, 10%, 15%, and over. Curr Obes Rep. 2017;6(2):187-194.
10. Kaplan LM, Golden A, Jinnett K, et al. Perceptions of barriers to effective obesity care: results from the National ACTION Study. Obesity. 2018;26(1):61-69.
11. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; National Institutes of Health; North American Association for the Study of Obesity. The Practical Guide: Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health; 2000. NIH Publication 00-4084.
12. Wegovy® [package insert]. Plainsboro, NJ: Novo Nordisk Inc.; 2021.
13. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Calculating BMI using the metric system. Accessed November 17, 2022. https://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpao/growthcharts/training/bmiage/page5_1.html